The following collection of websites, reports, published journal articles and other resources provides useful background information on BirdLife’s Marine Programme, as well as the relevant fishing gears and bycatch problems in Lithuania and Spain. Check back here in due course for preliminary results and reports produced from this project.
BirdLife Marine Programme
- BirdLife Seabird Bycatch Mitigation Factsheets
- BirdLife International Marine Programme
- BirdLife European Marine Programme
- Albatross Task Force
- Martin, G. R. & Crawford, R. Reducing bycatch in gillnets: A sensory ecology perspective. Global Ecology and Conservation 3, 28–50 (2015).
- Žydelis, R., Dagys, M. & Vaitkus, G. Beached bird surveys in Lithuania reflect marine oil pollution and bird mortality in fishing nets. Marine Ornithology 34, 161–166 (2006).
- Žydelis, R. et al. Bycatch in gillnet fisheries – An overlooked threat to waterbird populations. Biological Conservation 142, 1269–1281 (2009).
- Žydelis, R., Small, C. & French, G. The incidental catch of seabirds in gillnet fisheries: A global review. Biological Conservation 162, 76–88 (2013).
- Anderson, O. R. J. et al. Review: Global seabird bycatch in longline fisheries. Endang. Species. Res. 14, 91–106 (2011).
- Louzao, M., Delord, K., García, D., Boué, A. & Weimerskirch, H. Protecting Persistent Dynamic Oceanographic Features: Transboundary Conservation Efforts Are Needed for the Critically Endangered Balearic Shearwater. PLoS ONE 7, e35728 (2012).
- Oliveira, N. et al. Seabird bycatch in Portuguese mainland coastal fisheries: An assessment through on-board observations and fishermen interviews. Global Ecology and Conservation 3, 51–61 (2015).
- Oro, D., Aguilar, J. S., Igual, J. M. & Louzao, M. Modelling demography and extinction risk in the endangered Balearic Shearwater. Biological Conservation 116, 93–102 (2004).
Documentaries & Applications